Karnataka DGP Ramachandra Rao Suspended After Obscene Office Videos Go Viral; Government Calls Conduct Unacceptable

The Karnataka government suspended senior IPS officer K Ramachandra Rao after alleged obscene videos from his office went viral on social media.

Bengaluru: Karnataka Police faced major criticism after alleged obscene videos linked to senior IPS officer K Ramachandra Rao spread widely on social media, prompting the state government to take immediate action. The government stated that the officer’s conduct did not meet the standards expected of a public servant.

On Monday, January 19, 2026, several unverified videos began circulating online. These clips allegedly showed DGP K Ramachandra Rao in inappropriate situations with women. Some videos showed Rao wearing his police uniform and appeared to record him inside his office. People also shared audio clips containing objectionable conversations. The content spread rapidly across social media platforms, and news channels broadcast it, triggering public anger and concern.

Government Issues Suspension Order

Late on January 19, the Karnataka Government issued an official suspension order against Rao, with immediate effect, pending a departmental investigation. K V Ashoka, Under Secretary in the Department of Personnel and Administrative Reforms (DPAR), signed the order. It stated that videos and news reports widely shown on media platforms indicated that Dr K Ramachandra Rao, DGP, DCRE, had behaved in an obscene manner. The order noted that such conduct was inappropriate for a government officer and had caused embarrassment to the state administration.

The government said it “prima facie” found that the officer violated service rules and therefore needed to suspend him. During the suspension period, the government has instructed Rao not to leave his headquarters without prior written approval.

Chief Minister Orders Probe

Chief Minister Siddaramaiah confirmed that the videos came to his notice on January 19, 2026. He stated that he immediately ordered an inquiry into the matter. The Congress-led state government stressed the importance of accountability and said the incident had brought embarrassment to the administration.

Rao Denies Allegations

Responding to the controversy, K Ramachandra Rao claimed that the videos were fake and fabricated. He said he plans to take legal action against those who created and shared the clips.

Background of K Ramachandra Rao

K Ramachandra Rao is a 1993-batch IPS officer and currently heads the Directorate of Civil Rights Enforcement (DCRE) in Karnataka. He had earlier attracted public attention due to his stepdaughter, Ranya Rao, who was accused in a gold smuggling case. While that matter is unrelated to the present suspension, it has increased media focus on the officer.

Inquiry Underway, More Details Awaited

A departmental inquiry has now begun to examine the allegations against Rao. As of January 20, 2026, no further information has been shared about the investigation or any possible charges.

The case has sparked wider discussion about the behaviour and responsibility of senior police officials, especially in a time when content spreads rapidly on social media. Further updates are expected as the inquiry progresses.

Also Read on jabalpur today: Silver Price Hits Record High: Price jumps by Rs 1 Lakh in Just 30 Days, China Link and Other Big Reasons Explained

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *